Halloween Safety for Kitty: No Chocolates or Sweets, Please

If you're new here, please consider subscribing to my feed. If you love cats, you'll enjoy the posts we place online every day.  Thanks for visiting!

Pictures_cats_servel_pumkin.jpgWith all the yummy sugary treats around this time of year, it's easy to want to share with your kitty, especially if he has a bit of a sweet tooth! But please, for your cat's safety, no chocolate or candies or anything that comes in a wrapper.

1. No Chocolate. Chocolate is toxic to cats so it is extremely dangerous to give them any even in small amounts. It can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and even seizures. Taken in large quantities, chocolate can kill your cat.

It contains caffeine, cardiac stimulants and its a diuretic, all of which can seriously harm your cat and the problem is that the symptoms don't show up right away, so by the time your cat starts having seizures, its too late.

If you think your cat has eaten some chocolate, take him to the vet right away and if you can, bring the chocolate and wrapper with you so your vet can see how much and what kind of chocolate it was.

2. No Candies. Cats may want to lick a sweet hard candy or chew on some gummies, but don't let him! The artificial sweetener xylitol can cause stomach upset, problems breathing even coma and possibly death if taken in large quantities. And sugar can cause Kitty to be hyperactive and irritable. Pictures_cats_pumkins.jpg

The artificial sweetener xylitol is actually a sugar alcohol, and cats can't metabolize alcohol so they usually end up with a sudden drop in blood sugar and slip into a coma.

If you think your cat has had something with an artificial sweetener in it, get him to the vet immediately with the candy and the wrapper, if possible.

3. No Candy Wrappers. Those shiny packages are very tempting as they flash in the light. Cats will surely want to play with them, but don't let them. Cats are attracted to the shiny, crunchy foil and plastic wrappers, but if swallowed, your cat can be in grave danger. INtestinal blockage can be fatal if not treated immediately.

If you think your cat has swallowed something like this, don't wait around for him to poop it out, call your vet now, this is not something you can take care of by your self. Your cat might have to have surgery to remove the item. So think twice about letting him play with candy wrappers. Pictures_cats_pumkin.jpg

Click here for our past posts, our archives have hundreds of helpful cat information posts for cat lovers.  Please subscribe to our RSS feed if you're a cat person that likes cat related information, cat care advice and news.



0 TrackBacks

Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: Halloween Safety for Kitty: No Chocolates or Sweets, Please.

TrackBack URL for this entry: http://www.facekitty.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/wenwon/managed-mt/mt-tb.cgi/274

Leave a comment

Type the characters you see in the picture above.

Latest Pictures

Cat Wallpapers